Wednesday 3 February 2010

ZOMG, TROLL !!11!!!!!

It amuses me greatly when people call me a troll for expressing my opinion, especially when I'm not the first to throw insults around. Seems having an opinion that isn't shared by the majority of the forum = 'troll' whether one likes it or not.

So far, I've been called a troll for being pro-abortion, pro-human sterilisation, for pointing out the hypocrisy of vegetarians, having a pro animal message in my signature, etc etc etc. It's amazing how long standing members of most forums get away with being insulting to anyone with an opinion other than the mass consensus of the forum. It's like 'zomg, our forum veterans can never do anything wrong !'.

Most forums I've come across have these problems. Cliques that go around insulting others and getting away with it for some ridiculous reason.

Seriously, if you're gonna run a forum, run it consistently please. When someone 'breaks the rules' deal with the same as anyone ELSE (including veteran members) who break the rules. Don't hand out punishment or lack thereof just because you don't agree with the person or you feel that since they have under a certain post count their views aren't worthy of consideration. On all my forums I've rarely had to ban anyone. Why? Because I moderate properly. I let people get on with things and only step in when it's obvious things are getting out of hand. I tell people to chill out and lock a thread if it's gone too far. The main people who have been banned on my forums are spammers or proper trolls: people who sign up just to insult. Maybe I'm just lucky with who signs up to my forums, because very few have resorted to the pathetic action of pure insulting because they dislike someone's opinion (a la PPK).

Anyway, case in point. I'm not a troll, I never insult first, I merely retaliate to insults given to me. If you don't like my opinion, ignore it or respond to it SENSIBLY. Don't go around calling people assholes just because they think something different to you that isn't a blatant wrong doing (i.e. supporting meat is clearly wrong because it causes suffering). And if you're gonna run a forum, and have a vast mod team, make sure they do their damn job and communicate with each other as well as members with a grievance. Mods insulting members just makes the entire forum look like it's run by douche's.

Anywho, rant over, for now. Back to Gantz.

1 comment:

  1. i got to the PPK late after the thread had been locked.

    i too believe (most) humans are the scourge of the earth, and also agree with VHEMT, but that organization has the word "voluntary" in it. otherwise it's a criminal act.

    there's a simple solution that will heal part of the abuse of the UK welfare system. simply being, only provide support for up to 2 or 3 kids. that's it! if they don't keep getting support for an infinite number of kids, they'll at least try to stop at 3. easy peasy!

    and since i advocate this everywhere, fertility awareness has a failure rate of .6%. :-p and if you double up on BC (non-hormonal, cause FAM won't work with external hormones) that rate will only go lower! good luck with your sterilisation search! (and keep in mind that female sterilisation that keeps the ovaries and uterus intact still has a possibility of having an ectopic pregnancy or other scary health shiitake. male sterilisation is far safer.)

    ReplyDelete